John Francis Cammack (BGS 1944-51)
2 January 1934 – 1 July 2015
John was born in Boston in 1934 and after attending Park Board Primary school and Boston Grammar School he joined the family business in 1951. Apart from time spent doing national service between 1952 and 1954, he spent his whole working life at Cammacks until his retirement in 1998.
John loved most sports, especially racquet sports. He was Boston Tennis Club Men’s First team captain, and was a member of Lincolnshire men’s veteran team. He was also a founder member of the Blackfriars Arts Centre, and spent many an hour helping to convert the refectory of the old Friary into what it is today. John was a proud Grammar School old boy, and served on the Old Boys committee for a number of years.
When his wife Judy was Mayor of Boston, John was proudly at her side as Consort, representing the Borough at many civic and community events both local and countywide. He was chairman of Boston Preservation Trust for ten years, during which time he redesigned and created the garden of Fydell House. In later years John was instrumental in founding the Historic Bostons’ Partnership, an organisation to promote the historic and cultural links between Boston, Lincolnshire and Boston, Massachusetts. The Puritan Path, installed in 2013 along the south path in the grounds of St Botolph’s church was his concept and is a lasting reminder of the work and love John had for his hometown.
A true Bostonian in every sense, John leaves his widow Judy, children Frances, Richard (a BGS old boy) and Rachel, sons in law David and Michael, daughter in law Nicola, grandchildren Tom, Amelia, Andrew, Oliver (a current BGS student), Lizzie and Ben, brother Frank (ex BGS) and sister Diana.